Home > Work > Specialists


Specialist Practice in Saskatchewan

Specialist physicians have opportunities to serve many communities throughout Saskatchewan including on-site, itinerant, visiting, academic and tele-medicine. Or maybe you want to combine types of practice? Saskatchewan offers it!


The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan (CPSS) regulates and licences all physicians practicing in Saskatchewan. There are a number of different types of licenses available for Specialists. The path to licensure will depend on your qualifications and the type of practice you wish to pursue.

CPSS relies on the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Royal College) to determine if a specialist’s training is recognized. The Royal College is the national professional association that oversees the medical education of specialists in Canada. It accredits university programs that train resident physicians for their specialty practices and administers the examinations that residents must pass to become certified as specialists.

There are two main pathways to practice as a specialist in Saskatchewan. These are high-level pathways and are not a detailed list of requirements to obtain a licence to practice.

Pathway 1: Complete a Residency program in Canada

In order to complete a residency in Canada, you must match to a program through the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS). CaRMS is a national, independent, not-for-profit, fee-for-service organization that provides a fair, objective and transparent application and matching service for medical training throughout Canada. Each university and program will have specific requirements that an applicant must meet to qualifying for CaRMS.

Pathway 2: Recognition by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada

In Saskatchewan, we rely on the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Royal College) to determine if a specialist’s training completed outside of Canada is recognized in Canada. There are two routes to training recognition and obtaining a ruling of eligibility to access the Royal College examination in your primary specialty. Detailed information on the Approved- Jurisdiction Route and Practice Eligibility Route is available on the Royal College website.

Teaching and Learning

As a Specialist Physician in Saskatchewan you will have an opportunity to participate in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education at the University of Saskatchewan. You are encouraged to be involved in teaching our future physicians!

Additional Resources