Learn more about the exciting, diverse, challenging and rewarding opportunities available for Anesthesiologists to practice in Saskatchewan.
About the Opportunities:
Currently we have multiple full time, permanent positions including Level 1 Trauma, Complex Regional Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Care. Specialty areas include, but are not limited to:
- Pain Management
Anesthesiologists throughout the province work closely with collegial multi-disciplinary teams to provide full-scope services. Elective operating room time typically runs between 7:00am and 4:00pm, varying by location and services offered.
On-call coverage allows for a balanced lifestyle as it is shared among other Anesthesiologists at each specific practice location. Opportunities to participate in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education at the University of Saskatchewan.
For a complete listing of the current Anesthesiology positions in Saskatchewan click here.
Contract and fee-for-service remuneration options are available based on the needs of each specific location. The average payment of a full time Anesthesiologist in Saskatchewan is approximately $440,000 CAD. For additional remuneration, Anesthesiologists are eligible to participate in the Specialist Emergency Coverage Program which offers a tiered call rotation coverage for emergent situations.
Other Practice Incentives in Saskatchewan include:
- Specialist Recruitment Incentive | Grant of $30,000 CAD to eligible specialists who establish a practice in Saskatchewan and remain for 36 months in a community
- Retention Fund | Provides financial reward to physicians who practice in the province for extended periods of time, range is from $3,500 to $7,000 CAD
- Continuing Medical Education Fund (CME) | Assist physicians with costs up to $3,000 CAD per year with CME courses or materials
- Parental Leave Fund | Program provides max of $1,300 CAD per week up to 20 weeks for physicians seeking parental leave from clinical practice
- Canadian Medical Protective Association Reimbursement Fund | Rebates Saskatchewan physicians the fees associated with medical malpractice insurance premiums
- Relocation Supports | Available on a case by case basis per community
Qualifications and Licensure in Saskatchewan:
Anesthesiologists looking to practice in Saskatchewan must be eligible for provisional or regular licensure from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan (CPSS). Licensing requirements include:
- Be eligible for or hold certification in Anesthesiology from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Medical Council Canada Qualifying Examination Part 1 or USMLE 1, 2 and 3
- English language proficiency
- Current in practice
Saskatchewan quick facts:
- A population of 1.2 million
- Two urban centers with populations of over 250,000
- Low cost of living with the average price of a home in 2019 of $286,700 CAD
- The average working commute is less than 20 minutes
- We are known as the sunniest province in Canada, with nearly 2400 sunny hours per year
- Home to over 100,000 fresh water lakes, boreal forest, sand dunes and prairie with lots of room to play with only a 45 minute drive to cottage country from most communities
About the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA):
- We are the largest employer in Saskatchewan with over 40, 000 employees
- Currently, over 140 Anesthesiologists practice in Saskatchewan
- Health services provided include acute care, public health, primary care, home and community services and mental health and addiction services
- SHA fosters the opportunity for clinical work, research, teaching and academic appointments with the University of Saskatchewan
- The new Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital opened in Saskatoon in 2019