The below are the program details prior to April 1, 2023. New program details can be found here.
Recent Family Medicine graduates who establish practice in Saskatchewan communities with a population of 10,000 or less may apply on an annual basis for retention incentives through the Rural Physician Incentive Program (RPIP).
Payment of retention incentives may be made to qualifying physicians at the end of each year of practice according to the following schedule:
- Year 1 – up to $10,000 after 12 months of practice
- Year 2 – up to $10,000 after 24 months of practice
- Year 3 – up to $12,000 after 36 months of practice
- Year 4 – up to $15,000 after 48 months of practice
Retention incentives under this program may be available to you if you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Successful completion of post-graduate or internship training in Family Medicine within the previous twenty-four (24) months for Canadian Medical Graduates or thirty-six (36) months for International Medical Graduates from the date practice is first established.
- Holds licensure in Saskatchewan with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan (CPSS) at the time of application.
- Has established a full-time practice or is providing visiting or locum service, during the previous twelve (12) months, in an eligible1 rural Saskatchewan community with a population of 10,000 or less and are currently practicing in a rural Saskatchewan community with a population of 10,000 or less. For greater clarity, the minimum practice requirement to qualify for RPIP is practice in at least 11 of the 12 months with a minimum of 24 days per year.
- Practice is in a collegial primary care team that is either physically or virtually connected in a group practice environment.
- The practice is in alignment with and supported by the Saskatchewan Health Authority, Northern Medical Services and/or Saskatchewan Medical Association and the community is deemed to be a sustainable practice. Sustainable practices are those structured or networked in a manner that provides physicians with collegial peer support, work-life balance, and reasonable call schedules.
1All rural or remote communities in the province of Saskatchewan with a population of 10,000 or less are eligible under the program with the exception of bedroom communities of Balgonie, Clavet, Dalmeny, Delisle, Emerald Park, Langham, Lumsden, Martensville, Pense, Pilot Butte, Warman, and White City.
Please note all applicants must meet the above eligibility criteria in a given year to be considered for a retention incentive. Eligibility in a given year does not guarantee eligibility in any other year, nor does it guarantee that the program will not be subject to change prior to participants completing four years of service and receiving payment for any of those years under RPIP.
Physicians are encouraged to apply at the beginning of each year of practice.
Click here for the application form
Submit your application form (PDF), along with a copy of your postgraduate medical degree (for first‑time applications) to saskdocs by email at email@example.com or by fax at 306-933-5115.
saskdocs will adjudicate your application under the following considerations:
- Physicians are encouraged to submit an application at the beginning of each year of practice as this assists with the ability to advise on eligibility as well as with budgetary planning.
- A new RPIP application is required for each year of service.
- The start date for the calculation of the incentive will be the date that the physician commenced their year of practice in an eligible community. Applications are adjudicated after 12 months of service are complete (adjusted for any approved leaves).
- The eligibility date for each year of RPIP may be adjusted if the physician takes an approved leave from practice during the year (e.g. parental/health leaves). The incentive would then be paid out after the physician completes the full 12 months of service.
- The incentive may be pro-rated for practice that is less than full-time over the 12 month period. Physicians providing visiting or locum services will receive pro-rated payment based on time worked in an eligible rural community as reported by the Saskatchewan Health Authority, Northern Medical Services and/or Saskatchewan Medical Association. (e.g. Physician works 0.5FTE during their first 12 months of practice. The incentive would be $10,000 x 0.5FTE = $5,000 for that year.)
- The full 12 months of each year of service must be completed to receive the RPIP retention incentive. Partial payments will not be made if the full 12 months are not considered complete.
Physicians are encouraged to apply at the beginning of each year of practice. Submit your application form, along with a copy of your postgraduate medical degree (for first‑time applications).
For further information or any inquiries related to this program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 306-933-5000.